Yoga House (IYENGAR YOGA Studio) stands as a quaint corner in the quietness of section 16, PJ serenely tucked away from the rush and noise of the main roads. The atmosphere in Yoga House is soothing, calm and spacious.
Learning with Yoga House has some significant benefits.
Residents of PJ do not have to travel far to get to Yoga House. The accessibility to section 16 is easy with comfortable and free parking space.
Being a boutique-style studio Yoga House aims at smaller sized classes where the teachers can attend to every single student, correcting and aligning their postures to individual needs. This personalized approach differentiates Yoga House from other larger commercial ventures.
Sumitra Sekaran who runs Yoga House hails from India and is a certified IYENGAR YOGA teacher with over 20 years of experience in the field of Yoga and Sanskrit studies. This experience comes from studying under the greatest Yoga masters in India such as Guru Krishnamacharya, Guru Desikacharya and from Guruji BKS Iyengar who is often called the Michelangelo of Yoga.
The classed conducted in Yoga House are extensive and varied. This makes finding time to practice easier for all levels and types of students.
1. Beginners/Preliminary - This class covers the basic principles of IYENGAR
YOGA and the use of props and foundations of postures (Asanas)
2. Level 1- with a strong foundation in the Beginners level students can progress
to level 1. Here the Asanas can be held for longer durations, a broader range
of Asanas will be introduced along with basic breathing techniques.
3. Level 2- this class is for students with a good practice at level 1. Here poses
are refined and taught at a deeper level. More advanced poses will be
4. Elders class – a slow paced class for seniors with not too much movement and
strain. Poses will be heavily modified with props such as chairs, belts and
bolsters to suit individual needs.
5. Pranayama – Yogi’s believe that awareness and control of breath bring
longevity, stability of the mind and an increased sense of well-being. Basic
Pranayama techniques will be taught here.
6. Relax class – a soothing class to restore the energy of the body and mind.
Here the poses will be supported by bolsters and other props with emphasis
on holding postures for a longer time which will trigger a relaxation response
from the nervous system.
7. Meditation – sitting guided meditation will be conducted for an hour.
Techniques to calm the mind and to look inwards will be taught.